I'm Niccole Maloney, I'm an artist & the resident story-teller at the Potting Shed Art Studio. I'm the oldest of Deb's three daughters. We often work together to collaborate on art projects, classes, or fun events at the Potting Shed, although my mom is always the spirit & drive behind the place. When she first got the idea to do kids classes & art parties in the Potting Shed, I REALLY encouraged her to DO IT! It's what she was meant to do!
  

I grew up in Metamora/Germantown Hills. Art has always been a passion of mine. I graduated from MTHS in 1998 & got my associates degree in Arts & Sciences from ICC in 2000. I was accepted into the School of the Art Institute of Chicago after a portfolio review of my art & an interview, but decided to stay closer to home & continue my art education at Bradley University. I studied studio art, with drawing & painting as a focus & also took literature classes. I went to Bradley for a year before I met my husband & got distracted from my studies. We had our first son in 2002 & our second son in 2005. I continued to make art, focusing on realistic portraits.






I have always been lucky enough to stay home with my children, thanks to my hardworking hubby. I was very involved with the boys' schools, in particular the Picture Person program, where a parent comes & presents an artist & does a project. I coordinated that program for a few years, while being picture person for both boys' classes from Kindergarten until 5th grade. I absolutely loved teaching kids about art & introducing them to artists they'd never heard of. I love seeing their eyes get BIG when they first look at a piece of art history. It's also so fun to hear their opinions on different masterpieces!



I've always loved drawing, doodling, painting, doing crafts, crochet, sculpture, collage and mixed media. I worked as a waitress part time & continued to make art.  I had an art gallery exhibition in 2012, was part of a Peoria artist exhibition & then I created another child, this time a girl in 2013! This little girl rocked our world!

I became really involved in baby wearing and met lots of new friends in that circle. I also became an Usborne Books & More consultant, which allowed me to quit waitressing & spread my love of literacy! Story times, book parties, book fairs & summer reading club & fundraisers are what I love to do.


Being a book lady has helped me meet so many amazing people & I've traveled more in the past year than ever in my life! I was really excited to be able to do story times & art at the Potting Shed because it really does pull in both of my passions- books & art! I'm happy to get the chance to teach art to kids again and to meet new, creative-minded people & of course all the super cute kids who come through classes.


Comments

Popular Posts